High fives for BMW
They say all good things come in threes. Yet this past month, it seems that five is the number to be: Five of us traveled to the US, we drove the BMW X5 there, and BMW just launched the BMW 5 series.
San Francisco x five
One of the stops for our west coast vacation was San Francisco. A BMW X5 was waiting for us at the airport, and we had to find our way to Fisherman’s Wharf where our hotel was located.
The hubby is the designated driver, and I served as the navigator. We had our three older kids in tow, and we fitted nicely and comfortably.
San Francisco being the last leg meant we had more bags, which surprisingly fit in the boot after a little puzzle solving.
Each one of us had a choice of where to go. It was easy; I just wanted to go downtown and look at the shops. My eldest followed suit; he just wanted to see the young popular brands also located downtown.
The second eldest is inclined toward digital arts so a trip to Google and Facebook headquarters was in the agenda. So we took a 50-minute trip to both offices which felt more like college campuses.
Since my husband likes to bike, we booked a bike tour that enabled us to bike across the Golden Gate bridge to Sausalito.
Big mistake! Although most parts of the route were flat, there were two major hill climbs where I had to walk my bike, and boy was it cold.
The youngest had already claimed a trip to the Exploratorium and the Aquarium which was in Pier 39.
The place was festive and had lots of quirky stores and a restaurant. A must see.
Five things to like about the x5
1. My kids enjoyed the panoramic sunroof because it allowed them to take nice photos going down the famous Lombard Street.
2. Features that made life easy was a power liftgate, and front and rear video parking sensors.
3. The blue ambient lighting made the car feel space age but not overboard.
4. The drive was smooth. We had the previous generation X5 and the ride was harsh, making this current generation feel like a totally new vehicle.
5. The BMW X5 35d came in space grey metallic with ivory white/black Nappa leather interior, and boy was it pretty. It looked clean and luxurious.
All new BMW 5 series
The seventh generation of the BMW 5 Series was launched with the tagline “The Business Athlete.”
Since 1972, BMW has been producing award-winning vehicles that enjoy international recognition and success.
As the world’s most successful business car, the seventh generation BMW 5 series mirrors the goals of our Number One > Next strategy,” said Asian Carmakers Corporation president Maricar Parco.
She added: “These include our passion for technological innovation, enhanced connectivity, and sustainable mobility.
“With the expansion of our model portfolio in the premium business segment, we are confident that the all-new BMW 5 Series will further extend its emotional appeal by embodying all the values of the business athlete—strong character, relentless determination and a dynamic outlook on life.”
Of the different BMW types, series 1 to 3 and maybe 4 are most probably self-driven. The owners want more in life.
Those who buy 5s and 6s have already crossed the first hurdle—they are no longer neophytes or startups, they are established individuals who understand that their time and comfort are most important.
They sometimes take the wheel or let their deputies drive for them.
The 7 series owner has already mastered the art of delegation, and delegates driving to a chauffeur.
The event was attended by no less than the ultimate car enthusiast, San Miguel Corporation top honcho Ramon Ang, who was then rumored to be in talks with Chairman Pepito Alvarez to acquire the German car brand.
5 things I like about the BMW 5 series
1. It has a really cool display key that enables you to start the aircon remotely or check fuel level.
2. It also has the enhanced iDrive system and the BMW gesture control to adjust the audio system volume as well as accept and reject phone calls.
3. The ambient air package features fragrance dispersal and air ionization functions.
4. With efficient lightweight technology, the all new BMW 5 series is up to 100 kg lighter than its predecessor. Everything from the doors to the suspension setup were masterfully crafted specifically for the lightweight body.
5. An improved rear passenger space yields to a knee room that is 18 mm longer than its predecessor with a seat cushion length that is one of the best in its class.
High five to BMW for the launch of the 5 series with more high tech features for the business athlete, and the 2017 BMW X5 with its better ride and drive.
For comments and suggestion, please e-mail me at email@example.com, like us on Facebook/Chicdriven, or follow @chicdriven on Instagram.