Is Xpander going to be worth the wait?
Mitsubishi Motors’ next generation compact MPV, the Xpander, has just made its world debut and will be on sale by September in Indonesia. While the Philippines may have to wait a few more months for a left-hand version of this 7-seater, here are six reasons why you should put that next car purchase on hold until the Xpander’s official launch here in the Philippines.
1) At 4.475 meters long, 1.75m wide, and with a wheelbase of 2.775m, the Xpander is designed to seat seven people more comfortably. Also, with quick fold and release feature on second row seats, going in and out of the third row has been improved.
2) With a ground clearance of 205mm, placement of plugs in the flooring’s through-holes, and with both ECU and intake duct positioned much higher, the Xpander could be driven safely on moderately flooded roads.
3) The Xpander is powered by a 16-valve 1.5-liter, 105 horsepower (144 Nm torque) gasoline engine, fitted with Mitsubishi Motors’ proprietary Mitsubishi Innovative Valve timing Electronic (Mivec) system for high power output, low fuel consumption, and low exhaust emissions.
4) Drive is sent to the front wheels of the Xpander via a four-speed automatic or a five-speed manual transmission.
5) Besides offering a best in class cabin space, the Xpander is designed to cater to its owners’ active lifestyles, thanks to flat folding second and third row seats—giving them options to carry mountain bike or other sports equipment. There are even 16 bottle holders in the Xpander as well as dedicated smartphone trays for each passenger.
6) As a people carrier, MMC informs that the Xpander boasts strategically placed soundproofing and vibration damping materials to shut out engine noise, tire noise, and vibration. The vehicle also employed thicker headlining and roof silencer pads to effectively eliminate heavy rain drumming against roof.
Even the windshield employs glass with enhanced sound insulation, combined with a sandwiched film that minimizes noise penetration.
Get Inquirer updates while on the go, add us on these apps: