Jimny in a battle
15 REASONS WHY YOU SHOULD BUY THE SUZUKI JIMNY ALL-GRIP PRO
The car that attracted the biggest crowds at the four-day 7th Philippine International Motor Show (PIMS) last October was one of the smallest on display.
The all-new, fourth generation Suzuki Jimny, badged as the Jimny All-Grip Pro, created a lot of buzz and inquiries regarding its price and release date.
Suzuki Philippines, Inc. (SPI), not one to leave everyone hanging in suspense, titillated people further by organizing the official price reveal last Friday night at the outdoorsy Bonifacio High Street Ampitheater in Taguig, BGC.
During the event, Inquirer Motoring found 15 reasons why consumers in the market for a new car should pick the 2019 Suzuki Jimny.
1. In a world of fragile, car-based all-wheel-drive crossovers, the Jimny All-Grip Pro is a tough, genuine 4×4 all-terrain automobile that can take you almost anywhere your heart desires.
2. It is solidly built on a strong, cross-braced ladder frame chassis and 3-link rigid axle suspension with coil springs, making it better suited for uneven, off-road terrain than the monocoque body of a crossover.
3. Its 37-degree approach angle, 28-degree ramp breakover angle, 49-degree departure angle, and high ground clearance, plus selectable 4WD system called All-Grip allow it to climb over rocks, ridges, verticals and steep hills without scraping its underbody.
4. Its molded black bumpers, wheel arch extensions and side sills help keep the body panels scratch-free while the round headlamps with washer are completely separated to allow independent replacement.
5.Drip rails on the roof prevent water cascading into the cabin when opening doors;
6. A second shift lever in front of the handbrake switches between three modes—high-range two-wheel-drive for tarmac, high-range four-wheel-drive for slippery surfaces, and low-range four-wheel-drive for grueling low-speed work.
7. Unlike larger off-road vehicles, the Jimny’s bonsai dimensions and boxy body allow it to maneuver through tight urban spaces, narrow mountain trails and dense forests, while its slender 1,100-kg weight lets it drive through mud, over sand dunes, and up slippery slopes where heavier vehicles tend to get stuck.
8. The fresh, naturally aspirated, 1.5-liter 4-cylinder gasoline engine with a choice of 5-speed manual transmission or 4-speed automatic transmission produces 101 hp and 130 Nm of torque, 16 hp and 20 Nm more than the 1.3-liter engine of the previous model, while reducing noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
9. With rubber floor mats and hard plastic throughout the interior, the cabin floor can be cleaned with a water hose after an offroad adventure.
10. Center switches, retro-style dials in metallic colors, a scratch and stain-resistant instrument panel, a 9-inch touchscreen for the radio, reverse camera and GPS navigation, USB and aux inputs in the front, two 12V sockets, one in front and one for the luggage area, assure connectivity.
11. Luggage capacity with the rear seats up is 85 liters only, but folding the rear seats flat will increase it to 377 liters, bigger than the preceding generation’s, while the front seats also fold completely flat, thus accommodating extra long objects like a surfboard.
12. Safety features include hill hold control, hill descent control, and brake limited slip-differential (LSD).
13. The shortened wheelbase and wider track give the Jimny a nimble, fun-to-drive feel.
14. Described by some as a baby Mercedes G-Wagen, the Jimny All-Grip Pro’s cute ute looks and cheeky appeal have generated online fan clubs and a worldwide cult following.
Through three generations and 48 years, a total of 2.85 million units of the Suzuki Jimny has been sold across 194 countries.
15. To top it all, the Jimny All-Grip Pro is affordable, starting at P975,000 for the GL MT and P1.035 million for the GL AT.
The GLX AT Monotone retails at P1.085 million, while the GLX AT Two Tone variant costs P1.095 million.
Summing up, there is nothing like the Suzuki Jimny All-Grip Pro. It is the smallest and lightest dedicated 4WD you can buy.
Unlike a Toyota RAV4 or a Mazda CX-3, there aren’t many places you can’t take it with a smile on your face.
The estimated release date is in June 2019. The line forms on the right.